Turn a mushroom on it’s head, remove the stalk, and you’re left with a cavity just waiting to be filled. Stuffed it with quinoa, spices, and a little bacon if you desire, and it’s a flavorsome meal that will be remembered. Use the leanest bacon cut you can find. It’s called short back if you’re in Australia, Canadian bacon, in well, Canada, and the US, and back bacon in the UK.
Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 large portabella or field mushrooms
- 1 cup quinoa (red or white)
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 Rashers short back bacon / Canadian bacon or Back bacon, diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- coconut oil, for cooking
- Start by cooking the quinoa. Cook according to packet directions, adding the dried oregano, or add the quinoa to a small saucepan, add 1.5 cups water and the dried oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes or until the water is nearly absorbed. Then remove from the heat and allow to sit covered for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Then, remove the stalks from the mushrooms and roughly chop then. Heat a small pan over medium heat with 1 tbs coconut oil. Add the diced bacon and the chopped mushroom stalks. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the bacon starts to brown and crisp, then add the diced red peppers, heat through and remove from the heat.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, stir through 1 cup of the cooked quinoa through the sauteed bacon mixture.
- Place the mushrooms on the lined oven tray, on their head.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into each mushroom, then place 1 tsp of coconut oil on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the mushrooms are just cooked. Serve immediately!